Sunday, March 23, 2008

Happy Easter Everyone

Hey Gang,
Happy Easter to you and your loved ones.
This past Tuesday I was invited by Walt and his wife Jamie to attend their church, St. John Vianney in Mentor, Ohio. Their son Jimmy is in the church choir. The 8Th grade of the church put on a play about the days leading up to the Crucifixion.
Some people ask me what church I attend and my usual reply is I am a gypsy in a way, I have certain churches I attend more than others but I go where ever I feel or am invited. Some people won't dare step in a church other than their own denomination. Some condemn other church's if its not like the beliefs in their church. And some people get caught up in following rituals. But if you study Jesus being crucified and rising from the grave it has more than one meaning. Obviously the first and foremost is Jesus dieing for our sins. But also included in that one great act is our freedom here on earth that we are not bound by the law. So as long as a church is not some man made religion as so many have cropped up in the last 100 years or so and if the church is bible based I am comfortable with attending it.
As for the play it was a very well acted play. They had little time and props so only hit on the most important events of the Crucifixion and Jesus rising. But one thing disturbed me, it was the title. The title of the play was "What a Week for Jesus". Even the tone in the girls voice who gave the closing downplayed the seriousness of it all. When she said it I immediately thought What a week for Jesus - Ferris Bueller's Day Off. They need to fix that title. Other than that, it was wonderful, the church and the play.

Good Friday in the Philippines
I have been chatting on line with Ruth who is from the Philippines. It is so interesting learning about her culture. Here is a brief description of a parade they had in Zamboanga City on Good Friday.
I just watched the Catholic Parade of Saints, a lot of people and a carriage for a Jesus beaten, nailed, and crucified. I think they had about 15 to 16 carriages, each carriage had a different Jesus in it with flowers. Not all in the parade dress in costume, some devotees wear white others royal blue, some dress like the 12 disciples. It is a quiet parade, sort of more reverent, with a solemn music following. They have band instruments, trumpet, a drum.
Before the parade I went to church, it is so refreshing. There was a tambourine danceand the soloist is a very good singer. Before our pastor preached he showed us a little part of a movie. A man lost his son while taking care of the train, he was a train master. He lost his son and saved all the people riding in the train. He had to choose who to save the people or his son. He chose to save the people, just like what God the Father did to all of us. Ruth attends Christian Alliance Church.

Once Again, Happy Easter Everyone,
Carey

No comments: