Sunday, August 16, 2009

Pemberville Free Fair






Hey Gang,
Just got back from the Pemberville Free Fair. There was a lot to do around town but I wanted something a little more relaxing and laid back because I still have a bit of jet lag from last weekends trip to Texas. OK I can't lie, that plus the fact that is was free did help sway me into going.
Pemberville is a small town. It has one gas station, a short main street, a couple of churches, and neatly maintained older houses. It is about 100 miles from Cleveland but after the 1,400 mile odyssey to Texas this was like a short stroll in the park. I read about this fair in an Ohio festivals brochure. The 64 year old fair is billed as one of the last free fairs in Ohio. I was curious if it was included in the brochure because its a decent fair or because it was free or both.
I found out it is not your typical fair. It is small and has little in the way of the usual fair offerings which is surprising being in the middle of farm country. But it was free, did I mention that already? Seriously though, it really is a nice family event.
Today was the last day so a lot of the booths had packed up including some of the animals. Jeff and I did get to see 1 sheep, 3 hens, 3 rabbits and the quilt display in the school gymnasium. I enjoyed looking at the old parquet floor and how it was urethaned as much as looking at the quilts. We then went to a small building where the produce and baked goodies were judged. I was surprised to find a male carrot, didn't know they came in sexes. I included a photo of it so you'll understand why it had to be a male.
Across from the carrots were the zucchinis. They were huge! I was lucky to be standing there because a lady who was gathering her vegetables grabbed a large zucchini she had entered. The way she was holding it I just had to ask how heavy is it? She let me hold it and I estimated it to be about 7 pounds. OK I lied again, the minute I got home I weighed it - whoops I'm getting to far ahead. We talked briefly about what she does with them. She makes zucchini bread, pie, casseroles and other dishes.
After the produce and baked goods display we went into another building that had photos, misc. items and floral displays. And guess who we bumped into? The lady with the zucchini. She saw her friends and asked if they wanted her zucchini. When they said no she offered it to me. She must of saw my eyes light up. I said of course I would take it. Then she asked how about cucumbers? Sure. Tomatoes? Of course! What about 2 pumpkins? Absolutely.
Jeff and I hurried to the car to drop off the vegetables so we could meet her back at the produce display to grab the pumpkins. Her name was Sandy. She didn't want anything in return but I still gave her a GoGo Handy Pack Bag.
Sandy if you're out there, thanks again!!!! You made my day!!!!
Free fair, free tomatoes, free zucchini, free pumpkins, free cucumbers, OH and free parking. Life is good.


Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: