Monday, May 31, 2010

Hey Gang,
Joe said his Cutco office was in the harbor area of Ashtabula. I found it with ease. I briefly was in that area years ago I think for pizza so I sort of knew the general direction. Ashtabula is another area hit hard with unemployment. But I'm hearing more and more people saying that want to move there to flee Cuyahoga County and are worried Lake is going the same way. So I commend Joe for taking the risk. He may be in a hot spot for growth and could see his business boom.

 Joe was busy interviewing job applicants so I unloaded his shelf and took a walk through the woods behind his store. Finished exploring I told Joe I'd be right back, going for a drive to see whats in the area.
I don't know the roads or streets so can't tell you where I was at. I took a right at an intersection. The side street before it there was a church with police cars and a crowd of people in front. I spun around towards the church to investigate. It looked like maybe a wedding or a graduation but the cop cars?

At the stop sign in front of the church I asked a lady what was going on? She said they are going to bless the ships. What? I had to park and find out. I parked on a side street and asked another lady? Whats going on? Its the blessing of the ships. OK one more time, I'll ask this man. Excuse me whats going on? Its the blessing of the fleet, we are marching down to the harbor with the priest and bishop to pray for the ships safety, the father sprinkles water over them. Is this something new? Nope its the 61st. I guess I missed a few - huh?

I can't believe I also forgot his name, usually I remember everything so we'll just call him Mr. Cordial. Mr. Cordial said they were about set to march and I could join in. I ran to my van and grabbed my camera just in time. What timing and little did I know I parked on the parade route.

First came the Knights of Columbus 4th Degree Honor Guard, then the bagpipers, followed by Father Ruggieri, Bishop Murray of Youngstown and walking behind was the congregation and friends of Mother of Sorrows Church.

I asked Mr. Cordial if he minded I tagged along side him. He said absolutely not. I had my own personal tour guide. As we were walking he was telling me the history. At one time Ashtabula Harbor was the third largest in the country behind New York City and Long Beach in California. Ashtabula was a prime fishing area. There were many fisheries and charter services, private and commercial. Charter's still exist today but nothing like its heyday before the fish were just about over fished to extinction.

The road we were marching on was very tough in the early days. It was known for its many bordellos to serve the sailors. Rough and tumble. Now they are trying to lure back businesses. There are quite a few nice eateries and bars on the strip heading towards the harbor.

The march was maybe a mile and a half long and ended at the Public Dock by the Lift Bridge. The Knights of Columbus walked to the dock, the bag pipers stayed put at the entrance of the assembly while the rest walked through.

The proceedings went as follows:
Posting of the Colors by the Knights of Columbus - pledge of allegiance - greeting and then the prayer service.
The first reading was Genesis 1:19, then Matthew 8:23-27. The prayers were The Lords Prayer - The Shipmasters Prayer - The Sailors Prayer - and Prayer of Blessing of the Boats.
It was followed by The Memorial Prayer, the casting of the wreath on the water, Taps, final blessing and a closing song by the Mother of Sorrows Mens Choir.
And the conclusion was Father Ruggieri and Bishop Murray boarding a boat and traveling the harbor and river to bless all the boats.

I may not agree with everything in the Catholic faith but they do have very respectful and beautiful services. I felt blessed to be invited to their worship.

I snapped a few photos and headed back to Joe's.

No comments: