Sunday, June 26, 2011

texas 4

Well the day wasn't that bad after all, in fact it was great. I stayed behind at the hotel and slept in till about 11:30 while they went to Six Flags.

I did some emails and then headed to a restaurant close to the hotel called The Egg and I. A bit expensive but it was good food.

I went back to the hotel and asked for a shuttle to downtown San Antonio. The hotel doesn't give rides to downtown only to the park n ride. I never rode a bus before alone and was clueless to what I was doing. The bus driver explained how to pay. Hey its a new experience for me.

I guessed at what exit to get off and guess what, I guessed right. I got off in the middle of everything. I never knew the Alamo was right in the middle of the city. I thought it was much closer to the Mexican border and in the middle of no where.

San Antonio is a hidden gem. Why I never heard mention San Antonio as a travel destination is beyond me. Plenty of shopping, historic sites besides the Alamo and of course the River Walk.

The River Walk winds through the city. It is lined with hotels, eateries, bars, fine dining and little shops. Across the Alamo is a strip with more shops and museums. I have to return to walk or take the flat boat to see the rest of it. The flat boat sits about 20 on chairs and takes a lazy pace so you can enjoy the sights and sounds.

Then there is the Market. More little shops with all kinds of south western crafts, Mexican and Texas goods. It was so colorful and lively. The down was there was posted No Pictures. I ignored it and filmed away with my video cam.

I walked a good distance and kept finding new things to see. I came across the San Fernando Cathedral which is across of the old and new city hall. The old is another building you have to see, its made out of red sandstone.

When I got up to the cathedral I looked in and saw church was about to start. So I attended service. The church is fairly ornate with echoy acoustics. It was hard to understand what was being said because of the echo and also it was mixed between English and Spanish, maybe with even some Latin.

I just loved the Mexican style band/choir, if that's what the style is called. Never heard Hallelujah sang that way.

After that walked around some more until Walt and Jimmy showed up to head to the River Walk for dinner.

That's all, one more day to go. It always goes to fast.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: