Monday, August 16, 2010

What a lame fest

Hey Gang,
What a lame festival! I have been to some bad fests but this might win the prize. I went to the Tuscarawas Italian American Festival Saturday night. How silly. IF I had to label this I would call it the Dover food vendor weekend. And even the food vendors were nothing spectacular.

The only Italians I saw were the committee cooks of the festival manning the only true Italian stand selling deee-licious homemade deserts.

Good thing I showed up. At least there was one Italian walking the streets, hmm that doesn't sound right.

I asked everyone I could, what does a rock band have to do with Italians, wheres the gambling, wheres pictures of the pope, wheres the Catholics, wheres the Italians? I couldn't find any of these even though the festival site has some Italian events listed.

http://www.tuscitalianamerican.org/

America is changing so rapidly. The younger generation doesn't understand what true ethnic is unless its Hispanic or Muslim. And even then its in a perverted sense.

I over heard at an Italian restaurant in Cleveland a man explaining to his girlfriend, who had to be at least 30, which one was Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra in a photo on the wall. And back at the festival parking lot I spoke with a man and his wife about how things are changing. He said the fraternities such as the Eagles which I belong to are having a hard time attracting new members, good thing for the veterans at least they are holding things together.

I guess America has her own identity now, but I hate it. And its not just a generational thing. There is nothing appealing or cultural about people dressing in clothes that are 12 sizes to big or going out in lounge-wear made for home, wearing crocs, tattooed and speaking like they belong on Jerry Springer. I just hate it. Someone please turn back the clock for me.

Carey Masci

There are things to see in Dover, the Warther Museum and the Gas Pump Museum are just two.

No comments: