Friday, June 27, 2014

60th anniversary of a murder that rocked the nation.

 Hey Gang,
Not sure where I should post this, my political or my travel fun blog. I guess on my travel fun blog though it is far from fun, just the connection of who I met on Thursday makes it worthy to be placed here.

This July 4th will mark the 60th anniversary of a murder that rocked not only Cleveland but the nation. This murder even inspired a TV series and eventually years later was made into a movie -The Fugitive.  The murder was of Marilyn Sheppard.

There were many reasons why this gripped the nation. First this was the 50's when this just did not happen in America. Second it happened in an affluent white neighbourhood, Bay Village. Third the brutal nature of how Marilyn was murdered, she was almost unrecognisable from the beating she took. And finally the mystery of who actually did it. Sam her husband was initially convicted but after serving close to 10 years a retrial was held and he was acquitted.

Growing up this murder case was still a big deal. As a kid it fascinated me as it still does. I must have been about 10 when I read the book on the case. I have a box of all the original newspaper clippings on the murder and trial. The intrigue of who done it and what weapon was used still lingers as neither were ever found, the weapon or the murderer. But I can tell you right here who did it and what was used.

I will write in general terms now as I do not want to violate her privacy and or break her trust. But I can write this.
Thursday at a store I spoke with a lady. One talk led to another talk led to I am a relative of Marilyn Sheppard. She told me so much information that I am not even sure of the media knows what she told me. The murder weapon was not a lamp as some suspected. The reason was the room Marilyn was sleeping in did not have electricity. It was an older house. On her nightstand she kept a big flashlight. Thats what she was beaten to death with.

 Here is a link to a similar flashlight.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-ASH-FLASH-FLASHLIGHT-LANTERN-EMERGENCY-BEACON-MID-CENTURY-CHROME-/291177200399?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43cb837b0f  

Who did the murder? It was the window washer.


http://samsheppardmurdercase.wikispaces.com/Forensic+Techniques+employed+to+detect+and+process+such+evidence

http://samsheppardmurdercase.wikispaces.com/Case+Summary


This murder did more than take the life of Marylin, it literally consumed and destroyed the family.

Carey Masci

No comments: