Monday, November 30, 2015

About Dad - words of wisdom

Hey Gang
Well Dad seems to have taken a drastic turn for the worse. Many of you know about 4 years ago it did not look good for Dad. We called the family and close friends to the hospital it looked that bad. We prayed that he would be healed and God would extend his life and He did. Dad suddenly was talking about going home to eat spaghetti. And spaghetti he ate.

Dad was doing real good in fact I even took him on some day trips. He started slowing down sometime in August. A decision then was made about using Hospice that split the family. But once again he perked up. In September he went out for Moms birthday, he looked and felt fine. Then shortly after that outing he got some sort of infection and became bed ridden, his mind though was still fairly sharp.

About a week ago Dad again looked good and we thought he would make Christmas and his 89th birthday in January. He still may but at this point it is very uncertain. When Mom woke Dad was not moving. She thought he was in a coma.

Later on in the day Mom called me at worked and said Dad is trying to talk and he is beating on the drum you bought him, get home. The only movement he had was his foot kept moving and his hand was moving up and down until they gave him the drum which he repeatedly beat on.

I came home but he was not to responsive except the beating of the drum. Suddenly it occurred to me what Dad was trying to do. He was trying to communicate. So I grabbed a pen and paper and told Dad write something.

Well they say the nut doesn't fall far from the tree, I'm not talking about me here of course my brother and sisters. I am the normal one. Anyway.....

As he was writing I hollered for the family to come and help me figure out what he was trying to write. This is what Dad wrote and he wrote it in cursive: I'll be down to get you in a.... WHAT DOES IT MEAN, WHATS HE TRYING TO SAY, wait he wants to write more. ...taxi don't be late. HUH? My sister Cindi speaks up and says that's an old song.

I asked Dad again to write something for me. This time he wrote: I am writing something for U. What a card. I asked once more before the paramedics arrived if he wanted to write anything else, he did and wrote this gem: He who laughs last so grows the tree words of wisdom by Swami Bino. And then some of you wonder where I get my sense of humor? My sister wasn't to happy with Dads humor but to me it was just him even in a bad situation calming us down and saying hey I am OK.

Dad is now in the hospital and the early word is he had a massive stroke. I will keep you informed.

Gotta Go-Go!
Carey

In honor of Dad:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=je1LezrzQYw

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Let me know if I can do anything my friend