Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cook Forest part 2

The park chaplain came by this morning to invite us to Sunday service in the park and we got to talking about the Rangers that stopped last night and the Bus. The guy in the next site heard us and came over. He said I'm a lawyer and when I saw the rangers talking to you and looking inside your vehicle last night I thought to myself this guy needs a lawyer but when they left I stayed put, now I know what happened.

The part of Cook Forest we are at is nice and the old growth pines are of incredible height and the smell is so wonderful. There are also plenty of trails from easy to difficult but no real breathtaking vistas or scenery. One beautiful overlook was Seneca Point and the view from the fire tower we climbed was also beautiful. Both of these are across from Ridge Campground where we stayed.

The fire tower was crazy, it seemed to sway. It was put out of service years ago and shows. The height wasn't listed but the sign said it looks over the 130 foot tall pines. I found out later the height is 80 feet. A mother and her young daughter, maybe 8, started to climb it. The lady chickened out so the husband took the daughter and their even younger son, maybe 4, up. She told us I am a very protective mother but I can't look. I am thinking neither one would win parent of the year award. The steps are open and so easy for a kid to slip through. They were from Eastlake which is a city over from where I live, maybe that has something to do with it.

The trail we hiked was the Longfellow Trail. Only 1.2 miles. Some of the white pines on this trail are over 400 years old and some are the tallest in the Northeastern US at 150 feet, one is 183 feet.

But believe it or not most of the excitement centered around the GoGo Bus and meeting people. Nick started keeping count how many came up to us but quickly stopped. At one store we pulled in I was waiting for this lady to back out so I could grab her spot. She starts backing up, stops in the middle of the parking lot, gets out with her friend and both take pictures and then zoom off. How could I yell at them​ Another couple we met at Mac Beths convenience store ran into us again on a trail and said hey its the purple bus people. And of course at the campground, I think just about everyone had to peak at it.

In the morning church and then a slow cruise back, maybe the Tionesta area or the Canfield, Ohio fair. Hard to believe we are at the end of the summer vacation season, it seems like it just got here.

That's all for now.
Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: