Friday, September 7, 2012

3. Labor Day weekend, Africans, Buddnark and More

I met up with Walt at his reunion. Everyone Walt talked to he would introduce me this way: This is Carey, my wife couldn't make it so he is my date. I had enough of that real quick so I went over to where you signed in and lo and behold just what I was looking for a name tag, Gary Buddnark, that should work.


I slapped it on and rejoined Walt. Hey Gary I remember you, you use to wrestle. I did? I was into science. Oh come on you wrestled. Well one time I wrestled the teacher. Are you guys trippin? You were pretty good at wrestling. I'm sorry I had brain damage and don't remember much maybe I wrestled.

Another lady thought I was sick because she remembered Gary as being taller and heavier. And then she blurted out OH YOU ARE NOT GAR BUDDNARK! Yes I am. You know why I know? Because that's his best friend right there he told me. I walked over to this guy who was just laughing at me and said hey best friend so glad to meet you. They showed me Gary's photo in the year book and said you know I guess you could sort of pass for him. After some small talk and info on Gary and I ran with it.

Next person who came up to me I made a routine up. Hi remember me, I use to wrestle, my brothers did to, I was sick that's why I am thinner. It was a riot. The best was a lady who earlier in the night Walt introduced me to but before I wore the name tag. She saw us again and said hi to Walt and noticed my name tag. Gary Buddnark??? Now I am confused. You are Gary? Yes I am Gary. Huh? Was your brother here? Yep and he looks just like me. OK now that makes sense.

I even took a few photos for their school reunion with the name tag on. I wonder if it will make the booklet?

About an hour later the lady sitting with Gary's best best friend ran up to me and said give me the name tag, the real Gary is here. OUCH! I think its time to go. No come with me and you can meet him. When Gary saw me he made a fist like he wanted to knock me out. But my wit beat him. I hope I did you well, I told everyone I was an excellent wrestler. They even took our photo together.

Before I left I walked over to Gary's best friend and said I feel sad, I feel like I just lost my best friend.

Hey memories were made. Who knows at the next reunion, maybe I will get an invite or fill in for Gary if he can't. At least they will have something else to talk about... remember the two Gary's at our last reunion.

No comments: