Monday, July 15, 2013

flooded and wiped out



Hey Gang,
What a semi washed out two days I had.

Friday I had to drive out to Norwalk to deliver a dresser I sold on Craigs List.  The lady who bought it gave me additional money to bring it to her.

Ruth and my folks came along for the ride.  Dad’s been wanting to get out for sometime so he was anxious and ready to go.

After dropping off the dresser I looked at the map and realized I wasn’t to far from the Sorrowful Mother Shrine in Bellevue.  Dad took the family to the shrine years ago on one of our many family vacations.  I still remember some of it vividly.  The grottos with all the candles were so impressive as were all the statues.  I also remember the outdoor chapel.

The parents were as excited to see it again as I was.  We arrive and they had yellow tape strung up keeping cars out.  I had to investigate why so parked the car and walked under the tape.  The storm that blew through the past week toppled and destroyed many of the old trees.  The place was a mess and impassable in spots.  The outdoor chapel was left untouched but the shrine itself will be sometime and who knows maybe years to get it back in shape.

We also drove through the city of Bellevue and some business and residences still had no power.  Tree lawns after tree lawn were filled with debris from the storm.  Trees down all over the place.

That was Friday. Saturday I took Ruth out to Canal Fulton for Canal Days.  I wanted to see the Civil War reenactment and also take Ruth on a canal boat ride.  Both of those along with all the amusement rides got cancelled. The reason – flooding.

 Heritage Park where those events were supposed to take place was underwater.  Even the boat ride had to be shut down.  The towpaths that the horses use to tow the boat were submerged. 

Last year draught and not enough water and this year too much – oh well.

Enjoy the links and the photos.









No comments: