Sunday, March 30, 2014

Going Backwards then Back to Forward




I should complete the Dayton story but I never told you about the day trip to Columbus with Walt and Jimmy, Jessica and Ruth and I. 

They invited me to see the Lake Catholic hockey team play in the semi finals.  Lake Catholic is the school Jimmy attends.  The hockey playoffs were played in the Nationwide Arena the home of the professional hockey team the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The arena is top notch so it was exciting for the high schoolers to be playing in a major league arena.   Unfortunately the Lake Catholic Cougars lost badly, 7 to nothing, a complete wipe out. 


After the game the weather was very mild so we walked around the arena district of Columbus.  It’s not that large of an area but well laid out and clean.   From there we checked out the North Market a place you should see.  

We also quietly looked in the magnificently decored church the Annunciation Greek Orthodox on N. High.


America has some beautiful churches that go unrecognized. The Annunciation Greek Orthodox is just awesome inside. This is the website for the church.


Our walk back to our car concluded with eating at the Rodizio Grill which is billed according to their website as the first authentic Brazilian Steakhouse restaurant or Churrascaria in the United States.  Jimmy picked this place out and he hit it right.

It is a franchise and as you know I never give reviews of corporate, chain, or franchise places of business but this restaurant deserves one.   

Our waitress explained how things worked but I didn’t grasp it. 
Starting the meal off instead of the usual basket of bread or rolls were Pão de Queijo Brazilian cheese bread made with yucca flour and cheese and Banana Frita banana poppers.  That followed by a trip to the salad bar that had more than just salad.  Quail eggs, different kinds of rice, pasta and things I didn’t know what it was but I tried it anyways and one almost glued my mouth shut permanently. 

 I saw this granular stuff so put a pile in my dish.  At the table I took a big spoon of it and I couldn’t talk.  It became like paste.  I found out it was Yucca flour that is not suppose to be eaten but usually just sprinkled on your rice and beans.  Now they tell me.

   During our salad a waiter with a skewer of meat came over.  I don’t know what it was but when he said would you like some of course I said yes.  I thought it was a sample to help you choose your main course.  But it was followed by another waiter with another type of meat on a skewer.  I got some of that and thought if this is how we will eat we will starve as the portions given to us were so small.

But then I caught on after the third waiter with yet another type of meat.  It dawned on me you could eat as much as you want and eat which ever meat you like.  I think they said there are 30 different meats to choose from.  Included in the 30 is lamb, different types of chicken, pork including longanisa, fish and grilled pineapple.  I lost track of how many we tried.  We left not trying all of the varieties as you just can’t, way to much food, those little portions add up to a lot. 

  It is pricey but fine for a dress or casual affair and because of the way the meat is served the different personalities of the waiters that come to you table makes it a fun time.  You gotta try it.



On the drive back we stopped at Buckeye Donuts probably the best I have had. Columbus has really boomed and flew past Cleveland. 

So there you have it.  Now back to Dayton…..

1 comment:

David Macko said...

I especially enjoyed your photographs of Annunciation Greek Orthodox Church.
I also recommend the Ohio State Historical Society Museum if you have an afternoon or whole day to spare.