Tuesday, August 8, 2017

Day Trippin' to Sugar Creek

Hey Gang,
The best things in life are flee as in just go and this was a nice mini get away.
The purpose of the trip was an Arbonne presentation in Walnut Creek but other than that no plans were made, just like I like it.

We arrived late, as if you didn't know that was coming, drove around and found The Farm at Walnut Creek so we could avoid the rush of Amish buggies and traffic in the morning. Then went searching for a place to park for the night.

Our first look was the parking lot of Der Dutchman which is quiet at night but the onrush of hungry tourists in the morning can turn that lot into a piranha like feeding frenzy. So back on Rt. 39 West where we found an old rest area that has shrunk over time with it now sharing its back border with a church. It was close to the road so I knew this was not a place that was going to be quiet. No car and trucks pulling in and out but zooming traffic noise would keep an eye or two open. But it was late and it was a place to park so we stayed. And wow did it get cold at night, is this August?




When I woke I walked towards the church when a truck pulled in. Thought she was going to tell me to leave. Instead she asks, is that your van? Yes it is. Do you mind if I take some photos of it? No go ahead.

Former introductions were made then she snapped photos, tossed a 20 at me for a book and said keep the change. Now that is a great way to start a day.

Hi Julie if you are out there, thanks again for the friendly Hello and Good Morning, I sure hope my book inspires you to follow your dream of traveling the open road.

Continuing on...

Amishland is sure changing with more and more shops opening. One we stopped at was called C&C Treasure Seekers. Connie the owner explained that her husband restored most of the merchandise. You need to check this place out. Very impressive.

You never know what you can find in an antique store. I found my neighbor at C&C. I told Connie you never heard of or met someone from Wickliffe, well now you have just met two and both are named Carey, well my neighbor is Kerry. How funny.

From there we toured the free German museum in Walnut Creek, then Yoder's Amish home. I met Ed of Bainbridge, Ohio who is a member of the historical society there. I know that area quite well. Ed told me they shut down the 7 Caves which I will be writing about another time. Hope to meet up with Ed soon. Anyway the Amish home tour was fascinating, at least to me.



Then it was off to the Farm at Walnut Creek for the Arbonne presentation. Here's the description of the Farm at Walnut Creek taken from their website: Come explore a working farm and feed our exotic animals while taking a horse drawn wagon ride. Tour our barns and houses. The Farm at Walnut Creek is also a great place to have a picnic. Or an Arbonne presentation.


The top sales winner was a Mennonite which is why Arbonne gathered in Walnut Creek. They usually award a white Mercedes but since this lady doesn't drive they made an exception and presented her with a white custom built buggy and a stallion from the Netherlands. How this lady built a successful business is beyond me. Not able to use a phone or other modern means is not easy building a business.


The Amish and Mennonites are confusing. Some things are allowed, other things aren't and some things are close to how we live so why not just just jump into modern times? OK I know what you are thinking... Carey you need to jump into modern times. YES YES YES, fine, then jump into the 60's at least.

Enjoy the photos.









Gotta Go-Go!
Carey


No comments: