Sunday, April 20, 2008

How most Clevelander's spent their Friday nights in the 60's & 70's part 2

Hey Gang,
I had such positive feedback from the "How most Clevelander's spent their Friday nights" email that I decided to send part 2 with more recollections I had of Hoolihan & Big Chuck.
Cindy R. responded with That almost brought a tear to my eye. Good memories and good writing…
Vince in Pa. some how viewed the show and wrote: Hi Carey, great e-mail! Even tho I have lived 100 miles away from Cleveland , I was able to watch Ghoulardi (Turn Blue!), and Hoolihan & Big Chuck. Not only did I watch them, but my son grew up watching Big Chuck & lil John.
And Sherry wrote I remember all of this. I watched it even in elementary school whilethe goul was on. As I got older, I would only watch sometimes. Memories!

Ahh yes!!!!!!!! It made me feel good to have people reminisce with me. Some other memories I had of the show was the different characters and skits they came up with.
One of my favorites was the Kielbasy Kid with Kiesh the Wonder Dog. This character was a western gunslinger but in his holster instead of a gun was a kielbasa. Years ago at a store called Clarkins they were giving away cardboard posters of the Kielbasy Kid, believe it or not I still have mine and its hanging on my wall. Being little back then I couldn't figure out how Big Chuck and the Kielbasy Kid could be the same person and I thought he was known everywhere in America.
Then there was Soul Man, a black super hero dressed like Superman. Its a shame people are so touchy today with laughing at the differences between nationalities. There was no ill-tent involved it was just for laughs.
They even had a pizza eating contest which made a celebrity out of Mushmouth Mariano Pachetti. He had many challengers but always won and wore the belt home. On one pizza eating match he went up against a German Sheppard though I don't remember the outcome.
Or what about the silly spin off called Mary Hartski, Mary Hartski!
There was also Reading's by Roberts and plenty of skits with a character called Stash, I could go on with even more memories but will end it here.
I need to make a correction, I had the date wrong, Ghoulardi went off the air in '66 soon replaced by Hoolihan & Big Chuck. From what I understand Ghoulardi was chased off the airways because his character was to controversial and a bad influence for the kids. As much as Hoolihan & Big Chuck were loved, according too anyone old enough to have watched him, Ghoulardi was the King and pioneer that many afterward tried to copy but never succeeded in coming close.
Enjoy these additional clips.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey
HEY Group - Cool it with the boom-boom-booms, ova dey!


Ghoulardi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e52cXCrmauc&feature=related

old misc. bloopers from the local news in Cleveland
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B08yKQXGJx8&NR=1

Dorothy Fuldheim was an orignal news reporter from the early days of TV, she stayed on way into her golden years. It seemed to me growing up she was always old. Joel Rose sitting next to her committed suicide a few years back.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLCa1lSwEmA&feature=related

No comments: