Monday, August 11, 2008

Last Week part 3

Hey Gang,
I am at the part of the story where I was going to write about how my cat died, instead I am going to jump way ahead to yesterday since it was so wonderful, then I will backtrack.
I met with Lisa of Erie at Geneva on the Lake. First time I have seen her in years. Even though she needed a friend to talk about a pressing issue in her life the day was just fabulous. Perfect weather, setting, just a gorgeous day. I drove the Bus to meet her since it was way early for me, this way afterwards I planned on going to the park to relax and nap. The life of Reilly huh? But I never did make it to the park, on my way to getting a burger I was sidetracked. I peaked in a store on N. Broadway in Geneva and a lady hollered COME ON IN! How can Carey refuse an invite like that so I did. The store was called "Wood N Toy Stuff", all kinds of toys and gadgets with the theme of the store being toys before batteries. These ladies were so friendly and amusing. I almost got the impression that it didn't matter if they sold anything. They were enjoying their handiwork and each other's company. This is why I try to skip the corporate store as
much as possible. What you may save on money you miss out on the personal friendly service the little store gives.
I saw a beaded necklace similar to the one bought in Hawaii that I lost. I tried it on but it was a bit to long. So Judy said I can make it shorter. I thought she would just shorten the one that was picked out, nope, she strung up a new one for me. As I was waiting for the necklace to be made, Taffy explained what this odd looking game was. It was ladder ball and she challenged me to two rounds of it. I was then invited to sit back and relax in this old rocking chair that their one friend claimed as her seat. The rocking chair was from the early 1800's and if I remember correctly it was Taffy's great great grandfathers. As I was rocking back and forth listening to them giggle and make jokes we got to talking.
Judie who was making my necklace asked where I was from. She said so am I from Wickliffe and starting asking do you know this person and that person. I found out she lived in the old Willis house which is really neat. Recently Matt Jaworski one of the councilman for Wickliffe told me of this blighted house sitting vacant for years. I drove by the place and never knew it was there because of all the trees and bushes hiding it. I asked Jeff M. if he knew about this house. He said oh yeah my brother and I were in it, the Willis's owned it.
Judie went on to tell me some of the history. The house was part of a bigger estate. It was started in 1860, completed in 1866. Her parents bought it in 1950. Judy wanted to have it registered as an historical place to save the house but it was her mothers wishes after leaving for it to be sold and razed. It was in need of renovation anyways. It had water heat and one winter while it was sitting empty they forgot to turn off the water and all the pipes froze and did major damage. As she was telling me this she teared up over memories of the house and her family.
My necklace was complete and it was time for me to go but I was leaving with more than just a necklace, I was leaving with some great memories that I know I will look back on. If you are in the area go visit them and sit in the ole rocking chair, relax and take it all in.
The name of the store once more is WOOD N TOY STUFF by Judie Otto and daughter Lyn and her friend Taffy's jewelry she sells is called Accent by DeWolfe. 10 N. Broadway, Geneva, Ohio.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: