Thursday, August 14, 2008

My week part 4

Hey Gang,
Haven't heard from many of you lately. Guess everyone is out and about trying to cram in the last few weeks of the summer. BUT there is life out there! Becky wrote and shouted:
"my week part 3 ,...where is 4 - you ever gonna tell us how the cat died?"

Well glad you asked, my weeks have been running into each other and can't keep up BUT thats all you had to do - just ask.
So it was Wednesday July 30 and in between the timing belt change, the phone ringing and trying to figure out the cleaning for Marlenes is when the phone rings yet again with Mom on the other end all frantic, "Carey Gracie is dieing!" I calmed her down and said use my credit card and rush her to the vet. She quickly explained that they couldn't find the cat all last night. About 3 in the afternoon when Mom went out to water the plants she saw Gracie crouched down in the grass. Mom at first thought she was on the prowl for something. But as Mom got closer she noticed right away Gracie was dieing. Her eyes were closed, her mouth wide open and she was gasping for air. Dad thought maybe she was just over heated so they threw cold water on her. Nothing.
They get to the vet and the prognosis was not good, Gracie was poisoned. They gave her IV's in hopes of flushing out the toxins. The vet said take her home, maybe by chance the IV's will work if not bring her to the emergency and she will have to be put down. Mom calls about 9 with the somewhat good news that there is a chance Gracie will make it and with her tail wagging it's a good sign so they thought.
At 10 Mom calls yet again CAREY WE NEED TO GET GRACIE TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM SHE IS DIEING. The folks and my sister said Gracie threw her head way back, gave the most hideous meow with her eyes rolled back and her body completely limp. We found out the toxin had shut down her central nervous system and caused sever brain damage, the tail wagging was involuntary. We had no choice but to put her down.
I searched the yard and found nothing so not sure if some SOB did this or if she got into something. The vet wanted to run tests to find what kind of poison but it's very expensive. I would of loved to of known but just didn't have the extra money.
How sad a cat so full of spunk had to die like this. The last time I saw Gracie was Tueday night about 10 when I was leaving for Walt's. She plopped a dead mouse down at my feet and meowed showing off her gift to me.
I do have to apologize to all the cat lovers out there. Never really having a cat but always having dogs I never realized how much fun and a companion they can be, especially this one. My neighbors tossed Gracie out when their son went into the service. It would stray into the yard but would never come up to me. But one night while working in the garage she jumped on my back and stayed there like a fur collar while I did my work. It was then we adopted her. We still miss her.
Speaking of sad pet news I have to include Shirl and what happened to her little pooch Heidi sometime on Saturday. Heidi snuck out of the house and was struck by a car and killed. Shirl I am extremely sorry and know how you are feeling. Pets become family members and as I say dogs are like little kids in fur coats who never grow up.
I will finish part 5 when I get the chance.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: