Wednesday, April 30, 2014

All the way to Memphis

Hey Gang,

 Lately I am not sure what has gotten into me as I have been running on time.  Ruth and I had everything packed and just about ready when Paul arrived at 9:30.  We even arrived on time at 1pm to pick up Dan in Columbus.

But before that though we ran into a glitch with the GoGo Bus.  We stopped at the corner market by my house for last minute snacks.  We came out and the Bus wouldn't start.  I played with the wires and nothing.  As I am under the dash a car stops.  I look up and don't pay to much attention because someone is always coming up to it. 
At first didn't recognize him but did a double take and notice its my brother.  .

My brother gets out and asks whats up.  He was on vacation and just coming from the vet down the street.  What timing that he should pass at that exact time.  He gives me a jump, the Bus starts right up.  I told Paul as long as we get to Memphis I don't care what happens once there.  Paul said well you won't believe this but I just prayed seconds before your brother pulled up. 

 
All the way to Memphis and back the bus ran fine, never a glitch with the starting again.  Plus it averaged a whopping 13 mpg which is better that the high 11's and low 12's it was getting. 

My goal was to try and be in Memphis no later than 11.  We passed Cincinnati right on schedule and I started thinking I can do but then about sixty miles or so from Louisville traffic just stopped then crawled.  Road work.  We asked a few truckers what was up but no one had a clue but two women did.  They said this back up is for miles, follow us, we are exiting next exit and taking the old route in.  So that's what I did and it cost me over an hour and half or more.

What happened was I decided to forget the old and find an alternative way back to the freeway, Rt. 142 to 55 which is a twisty country road back to 71.  Things went smoothly for awhile until Rt 55 when traffic was stopped again for an e
xtra wide semi pulling a house.  Every so often it would pull over and let oncoming traffic through.  This was worse than the mess on the highway.  So alternative route 3.  That's how we lost time and threw us off our pace. 
Our arrival time of 2:45 am wasn't bad though considering the stop to pick up Dan in Columbus, the traffic mess and the hard rain we ran into plus stopping every 200 miles to refuel because the Bus has a small tank.  So 745 miles in a slow moving house-car in 15 hours and 45 minutes ain't bad.
 
 I've had the GoGo Bus now for close to 15 years and I am still having fun with it.  At a gas station somewhere in Kentucky 4 cackling, silly women come up to me ask what is this, who are you with?  Next thing I know they are sitting in it taking pictures of each other.  They were from Indiana heading to Orleans.  If you're out there Hoosier Girls hope you are well and still smilin' and laughin'.


Gotta GoGo!
Carey

 
 
 
any bed bugs large b ug
 
 
 
    large bangs  bad noise when sleeping
 
saw graceland in the middle of junk stores
 
 
mlk
 
cable car tracks in road
 
slept well
 
nashville is no longer a country city
 
crazy busy  chain restaurants
 
laugh time, man in yarfd working on car
 
gloominess of place  eery driving up
 
time warp smell
woke to oldies on the radio
look out restuanrant asked waitress if its the name because of the lookout or because the food is so bad you need to look out
 
both, scenery and food is bad
 
paul asked for church waitress said go to my dads church
 
small baptist church, firey preacher
 
weird manner of joining
 
off to mammoth cave
 
world heritage site
 
oaul got sick

gas cap

1 comment:

David Macko said...

Nashville is a fascinating city. I hope that you have an opportunity to see the Hermitage and the Tennessee State Museum.
What museums did you see in Memphis?