Friday, October 22, 2010

Dakak

Running behind with my updates but its so hard to keep up with all that I am doing and seeing.


I said I have seen the worse life has to offer, well 2 days ago I entered some of the best life has to offer. After about an hour ride from the Dipolog airport we arrived in Dakak Resort, Google it,.

The view from the check in/dining area of Dakak is breath taking. To think just a few short hours ago we were in the MADNESS of Manila. Life is amazing the extremes.

The cottages we stayed in were so beautiful and inviting. Bamboo and log, inside bamboo, wicker furniture, ornate green bed spreads and clean. Outside, manicured lawns and 3 different pools, a couple of bars and a small bowling alley.

The menu was very good. Ruth ordered us a lunch the first day of a seafood basket (shrimp – squid – tanguigui  fish filet), pancit and pork humba. The breakfast bar was excellent. Fruits, different juices, pork tocino, chicken adobo, and some American foods.

The beach had white sand. The water was very relaxing and warm. Unfortunately the typhoon from a few days ago made a mess. The water usually clear was littered with junk. We thought it was unsafe so we didn't stay long.

Later about 8 pm they took us on a tour bus to Fantasy Land about an hour drive. Again I was in awe of the driving. How a HUGE bus could navigate roads that were narrow, winding and not paved in places is beyond me

Fanatasy Land was cute. A small family amusement park. Outside the main gate was a small square with a few bars, places to eat, some small boutiques and a cock fighting ring! I thought Ruth was joking. Inside the gate - Fantasy Land, outside the gate - brutal reality. Just trying to understand how the children take to this.

Outside of the cock ring were contestants holding their prized roosters. Some were crowing, others looking bewildered .

Inside the ring were wild loud cheers and yelling. The yelling doesn’t last long. Either short rounds, or the losing cock dies quickly. I took a few photos and scanned the outside scene with my vid camera. One guy was holding his dead rooster trying to remove the tag from its leg. He gave me the bad eye so I quit filming. Ruth doesn't like it but she said they all do it, even police place bets and watch. Brutal.

Back inside of Fantasy Land Christmas tunes blaring, Ruth and I rode a few rides. It was fun. I bought a donut then boarded the bouncing tour bus back to Dakak.

No comments: