Tuesday, October 19, 2010

an update from today and last night

 all my notes are locked up in my lap top so will write about today and last night

Hey Gang,
I am now in Santa Marie in the province of Bulacan.  Where's that?  I don't know but its rural and away from anything even remotely related with tourism.  In Americano terms, I am in the sticks.

We have been dodging the typhoon for 3 days now, rain and more rain.

We left Ruth's brothers house about 1 pm after another delicious lunch from Ruth's sister in law Cynthia.  She made pork sinnigang.  We took a trike ride and then about a 2 hour bus drive and then her friend picked us up and drove another 30 minutes and here I am.

I will tell you this, most Americans would never survive here.  We have gotten to soft.  In fact i don't know if many of my friends could handle this trip.  Thats how different it is. 

Last night we went to a hot springs resort about 15 minutes from town in Laguna.  At one time this resort must of been luxury.  Now run down.  Its a hot springs resorts that has naturally hot water in the pool. Why in a tropical climate you want hot springs is beyond me.

Anyway.... It was the only place to stay.  No water, a tv with 2 chanels, no towels, nothing but a bed, 2 chairs, a table, a sink that drips water to wash your hands and a toilet.  I complained about no water in the shower and they laughed, most Filipinos do not have showers.  They have a shower stall but they pour water over their head.  And its cold, Ruth said you never really get use to it.

So there I was in this resort, very very dimly lit, looked like a jungle setting with rain.  Jun, Ruths brother said OK we are leaving now.  I said Ruth you are not leaving me here alone.  Its one thing to be home and speak the language but in a foreign land with no phone at least... nope, I am not that crazy.  She said I wouldn't leave you here. 

So I put in my pocket the only weapon I could find, a fork.  We went to the office to complain about a few things.  Nothing could really be done. But once i got acclimated I was fine.  We went for a dip in the the hot pool, all alone.  Very beautiful and romantic. 

Went back to our room and the the rain hit and hard.  The lights went off and just like in the movies a knock on the door.  I grabbed my fork and told Ruth don't answer it.  I have no clue what he wanted.  But he left. the lights went on and off all night.
I think I found my partner in crime, Ruth handled everything in stride, no panics or complaints.
Most would of died from fright. Thats how eery it was. What a fun experience.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: