Sunday, October 17, 2010

thee landing

When I landed in Manilla massive confusion is the best way to describe it. Manilla is sort of like NY City on caffeine. I didn't know where I was going, people running all over. I asked someone where should I go, he ushered me into the mens room. Another one takes my bags, pulls out paper towel, turns on the faucet and flashes an American 5, hint: tip expected. And so that was my welcome and what I would expect everywhere at least in the airport, tips and confusion.


I was directed to the check in area and it was orange tiled. The security alert was orange, orange tile but no orange pants.

The first check point asked me where I was staying. I didn't know the address but all the other questions were answered. Next check point, the same questions but this lady wanted another paper. After more confusion and me saying what I don't understand 12 times, we got it straightened out finally. I said thank you dear and she made a look of what? I guess that was a faux pau what ever that word Sharon said I would make, well I made one.

After exchanging dollars to pesos I went to the exit and couldn't find Ruth's brother who was suppose to be waiting for me. I had no clue what was going, where to go with everyone scurrying around, security guards yelling.

Dan, whom I met on the plane came to my rescue. He saw me and said lets call and tell her you are here. Ruth didn't answer so Dan called back and left a text. Dan's party was waiting for him so I said just go I am sure I will find them. Then Matt came over the other guy I met on the plane and asked if I was OK. Finally a security guard who kept yelling at me where I should go and stand said come here.  I thought I was going to be deported already but instead he called Ruth for me, got a hold of her and found out where her brother was. I was at the wrong level. Of course I had to tip for the use of his phone that he offered.

The security guard while talking to Ruth said mama a few times, I interrupted and said that is not my Mom. I found out later what mama meant in Tagalog, brother.

OH it stinks, everywhere it stinks!

No comments: