Sunday, May 27, 2012

17 Philippines


Saturday was some day. Ruth and I met Edgar and we went all over Zambo. We took a Jeepney ride that had such a friendly conductor. I had my vid cam on and he was smiling away and just enjoying acting like a celebrity for the silly American.

Our first stop was Family Fried Chicken. Huge open air restaurant with a roof that looked like bamboo. Again we ordered to much food. The food is so cheap when you compare it to the US dollar that I get carried away and want to order one of everything plus most meals here are for more than one, usually 2 to 4.

Then to the barter trade in Canelar a fairly large market place for clothes and household essentials. Ruth was hesitant to take me here because it is run by Muslims. It was so fascinating all the clothes, blankets and what nots. Everything was so colorful. When we walked in a group of boys maybe 5 to 7 years old saw me and shouted hey whats your name. They started following us so I kept turning around to make faces at them. I told them my name after they kept asking. When we were done shopping I told them follow me. I bought the five boys orange pop. It just made their day.

From there we stopped in on Ruth's cousin Dentist Loida. I snapped photos of the small dentist office while someone was in the chair. Silly laughs and just having fun. Loida told me next time she will take care of my wisdom teeth for free.  Ho
ws that!
Then it was on to St. Ignatius of Loyola Church in downtown Zambo. A huge church. http://www.panoramio.com/photo/64935272 another must see site. Instead of writing more look at the link to see a few photos of it.

And then believe it or not we went to McDonald,s and it was my suggestion. I needed coffee and I missed french fry's. Maybe it was my imagination from not eating fry's in sometime but the fry's I had seemed to be 10 times better than in the US. The store in Zambo was mobbed with people so maybe they had to constantly make fresh fry's, what ever the reason was they were so good and not greasy.

We sat by the window and and a little boy kept knocking on the window begging for food which is quite normal here. He kept pressing his face against the glass so I turned on my vid cam and turned the screen around so he could see himself. He amused himself so much and then a few other kids got in the act when he waved them over to look. We left Mc' and I was followed by them and a wman with a small baby all the way across the street until they gave up.

From there we went to Mindpro Citi Mall. At all stores and malls there are security guards. When the lady guard at the Mindpro Mall saw me she waved me right through and said tantalizing eyes. Edgar that was the funniest thing and kept repeating it.

From the mall to another barter trade near the heart of the city but much smaller. Again I was like a celebrity. Here buy this buy that let me show you this. What country are you from, America we have coffee and a drink good for male stamina. Ended the night with an Alavar' dinner served in my room.

Yuck, tomorrow I leave and the LONG dreaded flight home. Flight leaves Zambo at 6:45 Sunday and I won't be home until 3 pm Monday and remember I gain 12 hours. That's about 33 hours or so of airports and flying.



Gotta GoGo!!

No comments: