Monday, August 25, 2008

Weekends of August 9Th & the 16Th







Hey Gang,
I best get started with my telling of the weekends of the 9Th and 16Th because another weekend is here and I am off to Presque Isle in the morning and probably will come back with more tales, besides there is an important message from Lisa that needs to be passed along.
Soooooooooo lets begin with the weekend of the 9Th because I want you to meet someone, Dennis's grandfather, Dan. But first let me set it up. Life is strange, I haven't seen Dennis since about late 2005 when he disappeared, people do that who live in the Cleveland area. Then in a span of a week I spent a couple of week days with him and then the weekend. He invited me out to Cory, Pa. for a car show. Dov and I stayed in the Bus, Millard slept in the spare bed room. Immediately I knew I would like Dennis's grandpa judging by color of the rooms, turquoise, just like the interior of the Bus, how go-goish is that!
The car show was held at Meade Park. A wonderful park with a museum on the grounds, a small petting zoo and different pavilions and shelter houses. Very nicely laid out for a day of picnicking and relaxing. We got there on time to register and as with most places I take the GoGo Bus it got all kinds of Oooos & Ahhhs and WHAT THE HECK IS IT? The registration table was excited that someone as far away as Cleveland would attend their little town car show.
I thought for sure I would be a lock for a trophy as I thought Dennis's Grandpa Dan's '56 VW would be a for sure. Nope to both. Almost all car shows you always know who is going to win. Its always some kind of muscle car. As much as I like them, its boring seeing the same cars take home trophies. In the best Mopar a '64 Plymouth GTX won it. And in the best import that had us all stunned was a mid 90's Mitsubishi! How does a rare '56 VW that was ordered direct from Germany lose to that? Not being conceited but judging by the amount of people by the Bus it had to win. I spoke with one of the members of the association who helped put on the car show and even he said, I didn't do the judging, I would of voted for your Dodge. In no particular order I thought for sure these cars would walk away with something. Well in a way I did win something, I won the raffle, a free bottle of tire shine and when I was out getting a burger they called me to the stage. I went up there and the guy said its not for a trophy and a lady added here's an event t-shirt, thanks so much for driving out. A consolation prize, I guess.
Here's the cars I thought should of won: a beautiful four door '64 Buick Electra, the GoGo Bus, Grandpa's '56 VW, early '50's Packard and a '77 Mercury Bobcat wagon that was in excellent condition. All those are unique and you just don't see a lot of them.
After the show we went back to Dennis's house and I got to spend some time with Grandpa Dan. A very talented guy. I don't think there is much he can't do. He showed me a photo album of different charity house projects he was sent on through his church. He helped rebuild houses after Katrina, on Indian reservations and others. All charity work, wish I could remember the organization and the church he attends. But even more impressive is his carvings. He has cases of things he carved. My favorites, which I have enclosed photos of, is the pirate and the birds. His also has a sense of humor. See if you can guess what the photo titled "what is it" is. He gave me his card, it reads: WOODCARVINGS BY DAN MORGAN. We had a nice long conversation about politics, his charity work and other topics, a friendly person with a lot of hospitality. Thanks Dennis again for the invite, we all enjoyed ourselves, even during the cheesy movie at the drive in in the rain.
I best get to bed, Erie, Pa is calling me. Next email is the camp out with Mark & Becky and the Melissa's and maybe I can squeeze in Lisa's message.
Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: