Wednesday, July 29, 2009

What a July its been






Hey Gang,
What a July its been. I was so busy with so many different things that I couldn't even keep up with blogging about them as they happened.
The first part of this month was tragic with the funeral of lil Alexis and nerve wracking with Euclid and court. After those two trials things took off for the better.
I drove to Kentucky to pick up Millard on July second. His laid back quiet demeanor is always welcome in the midst of my hectic pace. I apologized to him for having so much going on and said somehow I need to slow done. Millard in his simple but wise ways answered with "but Carey if you would slow down you would be bored". I guess he has a point.
The timing of Millards visit was a God send. He never comes up during the 4th of July weekend, usually June or August. I planned to pick up Millard on the 2nd for sometime. Court was that day but I told my lawyer there is no way I am changing plans, Millard has never seen a fireworks display. As it turned out the funeral for Alexis was Wednesday the first. So the escape to pick up Millard on Thursday was perfect as there was no way I would of been prepared mentally or emotionally for court.
The drive down to Kentucky was great. Dov came along and volunteered the services of his car. Dov was quite impressed with the walls of Portsmouth and where Millard lives. Put it this way, not very populated. Cells phones are useless at Millards place so we had to drive to the top of the hill to make calls. Dov was excited to be out in the middle of no where so he had to call his friend Veronica and tell her, guess where I'm at?
Dov is a good travel companion. He was even in to the roadside bazaars in Kentucky. We both found it unique and unusual how people just pull over and set up. But then Dov's nerves got a bit frayed when I stopped at the 10th garage sale. I can't help it, they are addicting. At one I found a ceramic tobacco worm so it was worth Dov getting upset.
I found a new route to get to Morehead. I keep trying different ways, just hate traveling the same roads. This route is more rural, going through farm lands and a national forest. Very scenic. Mileage a bit shorter, time wise a bit longer. These are the directions from Wickliffe, take 271 south to 71 south, in Columbus pick up Rt. 23 south, cross over the Ohio River, take Rt 8 W to 10 W, pick up 59 S towards Kinniconick, then Rt 377 which takes you through the most northern point of the Daniel Boone National Forest, stay on Rt 377 till Morehead and then on to Millards.
On the way home found yet another way. Same directions but instead of Rt 23 when you crossover into Ohio, I took 104 which merges with Rt 23 in Waverly.
As for the 4th of July it went terrific. Walt had a cookout. Volley ball, cornhole, badminton with plenty of food and after the fireworks we sat by the fire and roasted shrimp on a skewer. Mmmmm Mmmm! Jeff, Millard and I went up to the Mentor High School to watch the fireworks up close. I asked Millard what he thought, he said in the very beginning he got nauseous being that close, it was scary. After that initial feeling passed he said they were spectacular.
I wonder what it would be like to be over 40 and experiencing fireworks for the first time? Thats all for this part. Hopefully I will finish this, if not, add it to the collection of undone Hey Gangs.
Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: