Wednesday, February 6, 2013

6 Pigeon Forge

Hey Gang,  Its our last morning.  Heading home today.  There is snow on the ground and sunshine in the sky.  The TV is still giving travel warnings…  If traveling please bring blankets, food and drinks with you in case of being stranded.  I never saw that warning before but then again we're in the mountains and I guess if you slide off it could be days before you’re found.

We ran off our list, blankets – check, food – check, drinks – check so it was onward  to New River Gorge.  The truth is we almost needed those provisions and if I had to do it over again I wouldn’t.  It was that scary, no make it horrifying.  If I won’t speed and tell you not to try it, it has to be bad.  

The last time I was at New River was in the mid-90’s so my memory was a bit fogged.  We started off in historic Fayetteville.  The welcome center that has a sign proclaiming open year round was closed because of the snow.  So back on 19 and off at the next exit.  The National Park Visitor Center was also closed because of the weather but still not enough to deter me or should I say enough to light the bulb above my head that I shouldn’t go or don't be stupid.
 
I found a road on the area map that was outside of the welcome center, 82 scenic drive.   The drive had a number, the map had Fayette Station marked which sounded like a town to me so this must be the road to see the bridge.  It started off alright but quickly turned into a OH NO.  A narrow, I mean narrow road, more like a path with hairpin curves.  It was all one way, impossible to turn back.  A truck crept up behind me so I eased as far over without going off the edge of the drop off to let him pass.   Much later we caught up to the truck. 

We tried our best to enjoy the the awesome beauty but it sure was muted with fear.  I really had no time to look around as all my concentration was on the road.  Later on Ruth told me she saw a bird with a red beak but didn't want to take my attention away from the road that's how dangerous it was.  Serious there were sections that I really thought of just pulling over and waiting a day or two for the ice to melt.  The road slants in sections and being ice and snow covered I thought for sure we were doomed .One section the road was even flooded. 


Finally relief was up ahead, an arrow pointing to Fayette Station.   It turned out to be nothing more than a parking lot.  I found out later Fayette Station is actually the name of the road and the spot on the map was for the Fayette Station Bridge and parking area, no town at all. 


When we arrived at the bridge there was the truck we let pass.  He pulled over to take photos.  I thought it was time to stop also to snap some and relax for a few minutes.  When the man saw me he said glad to see you made it, didn't think you would.  I replied I felt the same.  

After gathering myself together it was back on the path or as they call it road.  Most of the way I drove 3 to 5 mph and only once or twice hit 10.  Impossible to go faster and maybe 10 was suicidal.  Nothing relaxing at all.  You know.... I should contact Chevy and have them do a commercial on my stunt.  And it really  was a stunt as we saw only one other vehicle besides the truck, a jeep.  But we made it.  BUT never again.  I think it put a bigger bald spot on my head.  Even Ruth spoke up twice and said it's scary. 

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

1 comment:

Janniekamp said...

wow, that is scary, about the road. Hope you all get home safe. We will be praying for you.