Sunday, March 8, 2015

Third Day at the Akron Civic Theater

Hey Gang,
I want to say thanks to Walt and Jamie for a wonderful outing on Saturday night.
They invited Ruth and I to see the Christian music group “Third Day” at the Akron Civic theater.

Upon entering the theater my mouth dropped open, we were all in awe. The place is simply beautiful. I wanted to travel light so I didn't bring my cam and I am sorry I didn't. The colors, the artwork, the high ceilings, the turrets and statues, the domed ceiling with stars and moving clouds YES moving clouds is spectacular.

I took this description from Wikipedia which is accurate. An atmospheric theatre is a type of movie palace that was popular in the 1920s in America. "Rather than seating the theatre patrons in a boxlike, formal setting as passive observers of stage entertainment, the atmospheric design transported them to an exotic European courtyard or garden. A plain cerulean sky replaced the ornate dome of traditional theatre design. Wispy floating clouds produced by a projector replaced crystal chandeliers and gilt.

The theater was built in the 1920's and believe it or not almost torn down in the 80's. It has undergone almost 20 million dollars worth of improvements and restoration so I can imagine what it would cost to build from scratch today.

The band “Third Day” were terrific. Their sound and words to their songs are excellent, very uplifting.

So thanks again Walt and Jamie for a wonderful night.

Gotta Go-Go!
Carey


No comments: