Thursday, May 17, 2018

Mike and Donna's Wedding Ceremony

Hey Gang!
One of the captions for a photo in my newest book "Cruising Across America" is never pass an opportunity to expand your horizons.  So when I was asked to officiate and come up with the words for a civil ceremony I didn't pass it up. I was nervous but excited to be asked.

They requested that it would be short and concise. These are the words I came up with, though I did ad lib freely when I spoke it.

Friends of Mike and Donna thank you for coming.

When I was asked to do this I said without hesitation "Sure, Mike has always been a gentleman to me and Donna, well we always kid each other and have fun, I enjoy being around her."

So...
Because of reasons that preclude Mike and Donna from legally getting married we are gathered here to witness this civil ceremony which was put together by Jamie.

But does a lack of a government issued license make Mike and Donna's union or marriage any less binding? No not at all.

In the Garden of Eden when God put together the first couple, Adam and Eve, God didn't tell them to go to city hall for a license. God just introduced them and said "Here is your mate"!

And after 14 years of Mike and Donna being together I think we can all agree that God put this couple together.

Not only that but a promise to God has way more merit than one made to the government.

Mike before the vows would you like to say anything to Donna?

Donna before the vows would you like to say anything to Mike?

We will now say your vows.

Michael do you take Donna to be your wife?
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, continue to be her mate and companion?

Donna do you take Michael to be your husband?
Do you promise to love, honor, cherish, continue to be his mate and companion?

Mike ready to put the ring on Donna? I Mike take Donna to have and to hold, to love and cherish from this day forward until death do us part.

Donna ready to put the ring on Mike?
I Donna take Mike to have and to hold, to love and cherish from this day forward until death do us part.

As God is our witness and everyone who attended - Mike and Donna you are now husband and wife!






As I wrote above I was nervous thinking about doing it but once it was completed I felt great partaking in such a memorable event.

After the cake it was time to head outside so the couple could release their balloons. I told Ruth beforehand to sneak off and buy some bird seeds to toss at the couple. Today it is no longer in vogue to toss rice, releasing balloons to me is just not the same, bird seed is much closer to tradition. Too be honest, I am not sure if this is something I seen before or something that just jumped into mind.

One of the things I like to do when I am charge of events or asked to participate is watch how people react. I have been told, sometimes people think I still act somewhat immature. They don't get it. I enjoy life. Maybe this was instilled in me by my parents, by God or maybe both. Age has no bearing on having fun. Regardless I opened the bag of seeds while still in the restaurant not thinking. I told everyone to grab a handful. We had seeds falling everywhere. Walking out I asked the patrons not with us if they wanted any birdseed. Blank stares was the only reply I got.

Once outside we started tossing the seeds at each other. That's when I took a step back and watched. People who are normally way more reserved were at first hesitant then they got into the act. I marveled at how fun and silly everyone was acting. I said hey do you know we are tossing more seeds at each other than the couple? It was a great natural high, just a lot of fun with the energy lingering until we left.

Question: I've wondered since I've only been to white weddings in the past where white rice was thrown, but what about at black weddings, do they throw brown rice? Just wondering, don't throw bricks at me, bird seeds will do.

Gotta Go-Go!
Carey




No comments: