Wednesday, May 20, 2009

The new neighbor

Hey Gang,
Sometimes what I write I like it, other times I don't. Well this is one of those times I am not sure if I do. But read it anyways and you decide.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Guess what? I have a feel good story to write about, well most of the story is feel good.
I went to my rental today to do yard work. Next door, the house that was vacant for about 3 years, finally found a family. They are renting it from the owner who bought the house in foreclosure, and yes it was trashed. I knew the people who lived there. A white couple in their early 50's, not a black couple. Got that? I guess you can tell I am a bit sensitive to whats going on in Euclid. After he lost the house, if I was told correctly, because of not paying taxes, he got a job with the city, go figure. Let me end it there because that's not what this story is about, its about the boy sitting outside reading.
As I was doing yard work the boy next door said hi to me. I didn't want to stop so just said You the new neighbor? I resumed working but started thinking I was a bit cold. So I stopped and asked about his family and where did he move from. They were renting another house in Euclid but it was to small for the six of them. Before that they lived off E.55 and then Norwood off St. Claire. His Mom wanted to get the kids out of that area and said God had better plans for them. The schools he said are much better than in Cleveland, in Euclid they will not let you get away with things, I remember when I was in seventh grade while still in Cleveland this kid got straight F's and they passed him, I still can't believe it and will never forget it. I said I understand wanting to get out, both of your old neighborhoods are tough places, Clevelands been hard hit. He went on to tell me that his family is originally from Georgia and when his great-grandpa moved here 60 years ago Cleveland had all kinds of jobs thats why he moved up here. I replied its bad right now, don't know what the answer is or what to do. Do you know what he said? Pray! How 'bout that! I was being taught a lesson here. That adult and Godly answer made me me forget about yard work so I relaxed and talked with him further.
I asked what church he goes to. His family attends The Cathedral Worship Center, 216 Euclid Ave, Euclid. I asked is it a nondenominational? He replied thats all we attend, the churchs we did attend that were denominations said only blacks were going to heaven and thats not right. Sound familiar friends? Usually though its the whites who are going to heaven, guess depends on which side of the fence you are on.
Bryant is about to graduate from high school and will soon be off to Orlando where he will attend college to become a surgical assistant. His real passion though is politics and law enforcement. He was a volunteer for a mayoral candidate in University Hts... His candidate lost but his enthusiasm for politics hasn't been dampened and will get involved again in the future.
Before getting back to my yard work Bryant gave me a sheet on a genealogy service he does. He was able to track his family back to 1780 in Africa. His grandfathers side descend from the Choctaw Indians. On their grandmothers side, her father came from England and Georgia. He started a school there and named it after himself. The service is called - Genealogy Genius - the web address is: http://genealogygenius.webs.com/index.htm.
It was just refreshing to meet someone younger who has goals and is doing something with himself. And I am pretty certain whatever Bryant decides to do he will succeed. More than that though, his friendly hello is how neighbors should be.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: