Tuesday, September 8, 2009

How was the Mansfield trip?






Hey Gang,
How was the Mansfield trip? Thanks, glad you asked.
I thought the mysterious ailment of the GoGo Bus was an omen of things to come, but it wasn't. We were suppose to take it but the charging system went haywire. The last time I drove the Bus about 3 weeks ago it ran like new. I noticed the interior lights wouldn't come on, I thought I left the radio playing. To make a long story short, both batteries were completely drained and the alternator is shot. This will be the third time the alternator has been fixed in about 4 months. Somewhere there is a gremlin in the system. BUT how does all 3 go bad sitting???
Besides the last minute switcharoo of which car to take everything went perfectly well. Mansfield is only about 95 miles from my place. I missed the exit so took the second one a few miles down but it actually helped because it put us on the correct route for Kingwood Gardens. We stopped at a little coffee shop/burger joint once in town for coffee and directions. I asked for ice in my cup and the lady said you want rice in your coffee? OK had to add that as it made us and the patrons in the place laugh. My inner compass worked again as we were on the right road and less then 4 miles from the gardens. Who needs GPS?
My memory did not serve me as well though as Kingwood was much different then the scant memories I had. About the only thing I remember is the greenhouse and all the flowers. Dad would of been disappointed. Dad told me when he first brought us there it was meticulously manicured, not a blade of grass out of place. Then a few years later we went again and it wasn't as cared for. Don't get me wrong, the gardens are far from shabby or neglected, just not at the high level of maintenance my Dad recalls.
But taking into consideration that the gardens and mansion is still free and all the work done on the grounds is all volunteer paid for by donations and membership, its amazing. If you get the chance you need to see it now because they are already having to cut certain things and it might not be long before an admittance fee is charged.
Kingwood Center is a 47 acre display garden and the mansion is 22,000 sq. ft.. They only have the first and second floor open but its worth a visit. Mr. King was President and Chairman of the Board for Ohio Brass Co..
After the garden tour we found the park Dad took us to. My memory failed again as I remember the park being out in the middle of no where, a forest like park. Nope, its right in the city, its called the Block House Park. The condition of it is very run down, sad! Todays generation takes little pride and use of parks is just not as popular. The monument honoring Johnny Appleseed is still there but like the rest of the park its worn.
The block house is also a little different then what I remember. I thought it was more log cabin like. On one family outing Grandpa came along and read the bible to us sitting on a picnic table in the shade of the house. It was neat to go back and see it.
Most of Mansfield seemed blighted. Factory, after building, after house is shut down, for sale or boarded. Its like this all over America. SAD! At one time Mansfield must of had a lot of money. The architect of the buildings and the homes are incredible. A lot of them are Victorian style with spires. I like to go back and take more photos.
OH you wanted to know about the prison stay! Sorry, next email.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: