Thursday, May 28, 2015

books 99 and 100

Hey Gang,
Well celebration time, my 99th and 100th copy of Hey Gang! Ready to Go-Go? were sold today.
OK maybe not record setting but it does make me feel good. Remember there is no big PR or advertising going on. It's mostly me smiling and shaking hands.

The 99th book went to waitress Andrea of Harvard Inn restaurant on 71st St. in Cleveland.
I started joking with her and she said people come for the food but get abused here.
I said what is the connection with this other restaurant being advertised on your paper place mats? Then I added OH I get it, your slogan is if your think our food is bad you should try this other restaurant.

Andrea laughed and asked where I was from. One topic led to another led to her buying my book.
She then told a story of when she moved to California back in the 80's. The garage thought she was nuts when she wanted a hitch installed. Why did they think that? Her car was a Pontiac Fiero. Andrea told them do it or she would go somewhere else.

It took her 9 days to get to California pulling a U-Haul with her little Fiero as she would only drive from 6am to 2pm not to overwork the car.
She encountered dust storms and blistering heat but the scariest was when she came across a cattle stampede. Andrea buried her face in her hands and prayed. She thought for sure they would destroy her car.
But her biggest frustration occurred at her new apartment in California. One of the reasons she needed a bigger U-Haul was to transport the waterbed she just bought in Cleveland. The apartment she signed a lease with had a no water bed policy.
So she hauled that BIG waterbed all the way out there for nothing.

Andrea said she hopes we would be back. I said I will, you can read about my stories and I can hear about your stories.

Oh, how was the food. I ordered the fish fry. Chris the cook told me he hand breads it every morning. It was delicious and inexpensive but you have to get there early.
The Harvard Inn closes at 4pm.

Book 100 was sold to Cameron.
I was walking towards one of my janitorial accounts when I saw one of their employees Cameron walk in right before me.
He said he was in the neighborhood so decided to stop in.
Since I haven't seen him in sometime I told him about my book. Cameron immediately wanted one.
When we were done talking and the transaction for the book was completed he left.
I guess another perfect timing story.

Now my next milestone number is.....
Gotta Go-Go!!
Carey

No comments: