Thursday, March 24, 2016

Day 3 Arizona


Day 3
This trip reminds me of 2000 when I was in Arizona. The weather then was also abnormal. I remember Walt's father in law Larry saying I don't understand it, its usually hotter and dryer. I replied well according to my calculations three out of five days are cool and wet. There was even minor flooding that year because of the rain. No rain this year but it has been cool with steady winds. I traveled light but I sure could have used a sweatshirt. I am told Arizona gets hot but I haven't experienced it yet.

Day three has been a fun day, It started off a bit slow but gained steam near the end. I joined Ruth, Jimmy and Jami by the pool. While they swam I had my morning coffee. After their swim and my coffee we ventured back to Carefree and Cave Creek to finish looking at the stores and whatever else we could see in the area. Before arriving there was a brief stop for a quick lunch at scenic Tonto Bar & Grill at Rancho Manana on the edge of Cave Creek. The soup I had was superb. What was it? I forgot. Oh well.

What I really like about Cave Creek there are no corporations. According to their travel brochure … the town doesn't have a single national chain store. Every shop is individually owned and operated. Right up my alley. A lot of the stores carry the same southwest merchandise but its enjoyable as I love the unique look. The Town Dump is a store worth checking out,

Carefree is the next town over and almost blends in with Cave Creek so its hard to tell where one town starts and the other ends. Their motto is Home of cowboys and caviar, where the old meets the new. Carefree has the Carefree Desert Botanical Gardens it is small but worth a visit. They have a nice display of a variety of cactus's. The shopping center is between Ho Rd and Hum Rd which runs off of Easy street. After shopping it was dinner poolside with burgers and lots of veggies.


Jimmy and Jami stayed put so Ruth and I went to see bull riding in Carefree., hey I liked the town, Now this was a honest to goodness throw back, real cowboy culture still exists. It was held at the Buffalo Chips Saloon and Steakhouse. What an experience. The place is so rustic and old looking. nothing fancy, a big concession stand that makes all kinds of food, scattered worn picnic tables, a couple of fire pits where people were either roasting snacks or standing near them staying warm (this is Arizona), with rickety wooden stands around a well worn bull riding pit. You get real close to the action. It was something to see. And admission was free. I just loved it.


I think Bernie and Hillary need to see a bull riding rodeo. They would change their minds quickly on equal pay for all. The men give a good ride, the women are shaken off quicker than a flea on a greased hogs back.

No comments: