Tuesday, February 14, 2023

WV - Continuing On

So where was I? Oh yeah in the town of Broadway. 

After looking at the driving turd we found our way to Broadway, no Carey didn't get lost and end up in NY city, this Broadway is a little art town in Virginia. Broadway is one of the top ten places to live in Virginia.  

 What a neat visit. Some really old relics and some antique stores. The best one was The Cat's Meow Boutique. This is a place to visit, I mentioned it in my last blog posting. The antiques and collectibles were mostly real and real affordable.

The owner Ronnie Dove is some character. If you go in to just buy merchandise you're missing half the experience. Ronnie is some story teller and so funny. 

                                                 Here's  Ronnie Dove and below his card.



Ronnie told us in his store are certain items marked with a fish. When those items sell 100% of it goes to missions. Ronnie also told us he made a promise to God that the first sale of each day goes to Him. Now that is dedication. I could have sat there for a whole lot longer listening to his stories and jokes but with little time we had to move on.

 
Next stop was New Market. Historic but sadly it has somewhat withered since the last time I wandered into town back in 2000. However it still does have charm and things to look at.

After walking this way and that way through New Market  hunger set in. Two ladies recommended an old '50's style diner. Down the street we marched looking forward to eating at a place the locals loved and was featured in numerous TV shows. And lo and behold as we approached it I had a flashback - I remembered this place! I ate here way back. This place brought a laughter back to me recalling an event that happened with a waitress but won't write about that here, it will make my fourth book.

Sadly my memory of great food was spoiled by what they  served me which was - spoiled. Yes places do serve green ham and well... I don't know about the eggs. 
The waitress insisted that's the way ham is suppose to smell, like stinky feet. Gee she made it sound so appetizing I almost wanted to sprinkle it with Dr. Scholls. No matter how much she insisted that foot odor signaled it was fine I couldn't do it, to me it was rotten and it was.

The one thing Southern Kitchen is still cooking is the peanut soup that is quite unique and if they served it to the Confederacy maybe that's why they lost the war. Our waitress remarked people buy it by the buckets. Maybe they have pet elephants. You try it and tell me your thoughts. I mean it wasn't bad, definitely different but not for me.

Two meals and two meals that left me hungry so far the food was a no go on this trip. Well I shouldn't say that, it made me go in more ways than one.

That's all for this posting.

Gotta Go-Go!
Carey 



No comments: