Friday, November 28, 2014

Saturdays Dinner After the Constitution Party Convention part 2

Hey Gang,
So the search through Aurora for the 4th and Walnut restaurant continued...

Aurora, Indiana is a scenic little city. I just wished I took the driving tour when I wasn't hungry and looking for food. It would have been far more enjoyable. But I ain't kiddin' when I say I drove up n down every road, street, ave and parking lot looking for Walnut. We eventually found 4th and got excited. Food had to be right around the corner now. Well guess what? We found Winter Street and Water but no Walnut.

I even took a road that looked like someone’s drive that almost put us on the rail-road tracks - I'm serious. The name of that one laner was Railroad Ave, trust me its definitely not an ave.. How does a narrow one lane road that is so close to the tracks it could possibly get you killed is named avenue is beyond me. I hope the Go-Go Bus forgives me for making it drive through that torturous road.

It was approaching 8 p.m. Empty stomachs with dizzy heads from driving in circles coupled with Dan starting to mention places like Steak n Shake called the 4th and Walnut search off.

I said OK if you remember when we pulled into down-town Aurora from Rt. 50 we saw a BBQ place, that's where we're going, Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q whether we like it or not Big Daddy's Bar-B-Q is it.


http://bdlmbbq.com/index.html

Ruth saw the sign that said closed but the doors were open. We walk in and I was a bit puzzled. The restaurant is set up almost like two places. The front half is more like a diner, well light with chairs and tables, the back half was dimly lit, rustic, with an eclectic assortment of collectables and very homey.
I chose to wander to the back half and sit where there were a few people dining. A lady asked when she saw me walking around looking lost can we help you? Are you open? Yes, sit where you like. I asked are you the owner? The lady pointed to a man behind the counter and said he is, that's Big Daddy.
We made small talk until our waitress came over. I asked her what does she recommend. Big Daddy interrupted and said get the pulled pork. There is nothing worse when you ask a restaurant what they recommend and they suggest what you dislike the most. I said OK but when the waitress came back I said I am leaning towards the ribs what do you think? Bib Daddy suggested again I told you the pulled pork sandwich. AHA there was an outlet, well I am not into bread right now. OK get it naked. HMMM what does that mean? Order it without bread, just pulled pork. There was no way to worm out of it now. So I got the pulled pork with fries and cole slaw and it comes with mama's corn bread, I love corn bread so ordered an extra slice along with an appetizer of wings.

 As we were waiting for the meal Big Daddy who was searching online for karaoke supplies asked us where we were from. I said the Cleveland area. He replied how funny, I am looking at a store right now located in Cleveland. That wasn't the only odd coincidence. I found out there last name was Willoughby which is the name of the city next to Wickliffe where I live.

More small talk led him into telling us how he got into the restaurant business. The restaurant was actually his plumbing business. One day his workers didn't sure. He literally had it. He cancelled the phone service, took down the signs and decided on opening a Barbecue restaurant something he had no clue on inkling what he was getting himself into.  





No comments: