Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Carey's Philippine Connection

Friends... I will be out of town from Oct.13 through the 27. Please send important political emails, prayer requests, and work related emails only until I get back. THANKS!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hey Gang,
I am venturing out to the Philippines to meet Ruth. I will be leaving on October 13th and returning the 27th. I know its right in the middle of my busiest month with the fall cleanups and my cleaning business, (even though its still very slow) and this year its even busier with all the campaigns I am helping but this is how it all fell in place so I am going for it.

One of my accounts during late winter this year had to let me go for a few months. She referred me to another client who wanted work done. I am not sure what happened but I only worked a few times at this new house and never heard from them again. The older account wanted to resume the service so I bounced right back to them. Now here is the connection. The wife at the house I maintained only a few times was half Filipino. They go to the Philippines a few times a year. Her husband told me what to expect if I would ever travel there and if I wanted to try Filipino food go to Nipa Hut in Parma.

So I went to Nipa Hut. I found out besides being a grocery store and restaurant the owner sells plane tickets and hotel reservations for the Philippines. He said the best time to go is October because it is the off season for tourism. I told him well if I ever decide to go I will be back. Connection 2

In mid July Ruth and I set a date to meet in October because that was her vacation. I went back to Nipa Hut and was able to get a very good deal on a round trip because of the month. Connection 3.

In September I called my credit card to make sure I could use it in the Philippines. When the lady heard where I was going she got excited and said I just got back from there. Her dad is Jewish but her Mom is a Filipina. I asked where the credit card call center was and she said I am in Iowa. She gave me some advice on what to bring, sun tan lotion, bug spray and take lots of pictures and said I am going to really enjoy myself.

Connection 4. At work recently someone threw out a Dell laptop. It looked almost new so I brought it home. It was able to be fixed. So I am bringing it along with me. Whats the connection? 36 hours of flying and layovers you best have something to do.

Connection 5. I have been self employed for many years and never ever received a government refund for taxes. This year was the first time, that's how slow its been. So I used that money for the plane ticket. Someone said maybe I should save the money for a rainy day. But I did. I'm going to the Philippines and its still the rainy season there.

An unconnection. Its so hot over there so I went to Best Men's Wear to find a pair of thin material dress/casual pants. I found the perfect pair made of micro polyester which is VERY lightweight. The pants were even the perfect color - orange. When I told Ruth she said the men here wear black or blue pants, don't bring those I don't want you to look to much like a foreigner. I said Ruth I am use to it, in my own country I look like a foreigner a lot of times. But she won, no orange pants. Kind of reminds me of the lime green suit story.

More on Nipa Hut.
I went back to Nipa Hut to make sure all was set with the airfare. I had a lengthy conversation about life, religion and politics with Poli the owner. He was telling me the Philippines will always be his home but he loves America and this is where is he staying. He has been here about 25 years. He said some people think China is the greatest country but they aren't, America is. America makes the world go round. Even though China makes everything the country is hurting economically because America is not buying enough from them. China depends on us. China can't get themselves out of this economic slump because they can't afford to buy their own products, they don't pay their workers enough. Interesting.

I told Poli I needed to leave to eat. He said our restaurant is open go sit down, my treat. He served me a spring roll, rice porridge and palabok. The spring roll and porridge were delicious. The palabok is a noodle dish with pork rinds. It was OK but if you love pork rinds than you would enjoy it.

Nipa Hut is located at 6775 W.130th St., Parma Hts., Ohio



I will be reporting in when I can from my trip but only posting here on my blog, no emails. So if you want to read where I am at and hows it going go to my blog.

Gotta GoGo!!
Carey

No comments: