Monday, October 25, 2010

ruth at the market

Ruth went to the market and left me here. I wanted to go but she insisted it may be unsafe cause of the Muslims so I am sitting in the hotel.


More random thoughts and observations:
It smells here. Everywhere. Its a mixture of open food markets, trash, urine, and traffic. It reminds me so much of what I read about America in the early days of the big cities. The Philippines remind me of America of years past in other ways also. The hotel I am at is old in design. Narrow halls noisy, no carpeting, odors of people, food and cigarettes as you can still smoke inside the rooms and anywhere in the hotel.

Its like a wild frontier. The open air markets, the endless miles of little storefronts. Malls and a few chains are creeping in but for the most part all the stores and garages are independently owned. I actually feel more at home here then back at home. If you know me I have been screaming about the demise of the small store. The service is better, you can haggle. I am worried about what Ruth will think about where I live. Where do we go shopping and eat? Big Lots, Walmarts with made in China junk. Where do we eat? Premade meals at Denny's and Eat n Park. Disgusting. We can thank many people for the ruining of America, no one escapes blame, well maybe me, if you really know me then you know how I shop and live.

People here also complain about Chinese made junk. Inferior. Another sad thing is when I left Mom and I wanted to bring Ruth a gift. We couldn't find anything made in the US. Mom finally gave me a soap set to give her, made in Canada. Close enough I guess. Over here, you want something made in the Philippines, its easy to find.

Continuing on with these thoughts....
Before boarding the bus to Bulacan we stopped at a little bakery called Melgians Sweets/Foodmart . Ruth bought a pie called buko, it is stuffed with with young coconuts. I didn't care for the pie but what I did love was the Espasol. What is it? I don't know, its gooey and kind of sweet and tastes even better hardened and cold from the fridge.

For breakfast at Ruth's friends house Dave they went to another bakery and brought back a small brown bag filled with small bread rolls still hot from the oven. It was so delicious.

They don't buy in quantities. They don't have big fridges or freezers, they buy fresh daily, And I have yet to see a micro.

Just like America years ago.

No comments: