Thursday, October 28, 2010

Tuesday Oct. 26 memoirs

They really now how to cook here, wow is everything good. BUT don't order anything American. It makes me laugh. They make these exotic dishes that look like they take a lot of work but something as simple as an American breakfast they can't.
I ordered a continental breakfast at the hotel this morning. The toast was hardly buttered and cold. The scrambled eggs had some shells in it and tasted like fish, yuck.

In Cebu I was excited when we ordered chicken wings and it came with fries. Finally french fries. The wings were OK, by American standards - blah' and the fries, not kidding, you can see the photo, it came with 3 fries that's it. But it did come with rice.


Last night I ordered a chicken fillet. I asked is it filling? They kept saying no filling, its breaded. After some explaining of what I meant they finally understood and said Yes enough for Americans. It was OK but the fries, should of learned my lesson, were bad, more than 3 but bad.

This morning I got a nice going away surprise. Edgar and his wife Tata stopped by the hotel and brought me sweet potatoes for breakfast. These are not the potatoes or sweet potatoes we know in the states. Its a different kind. They fry the potato and then sprinkle sugar over it. Very different. Before they left they prayed for my journey back home. Everyone Ruth introduced me to either prayed for me/us right there or said they were praying for me./us.

Now I am sitting in Ruth's room alone waiting for her to come back. She had to go to the post office and meet her nephew. She didn't think it was wise for me to go because of the Muslims. Sad.

Shortly we will be heading to the airport to fly into Manila.

No comments: