Saturday, October 23, 2010

Just some of the things I have taken mental notes on.

Road Crews
Unlike ours in America the workers I have seen are wearing nothing special just every day clothes. Some who are pouring or mixing the cement are barefoot.

Hotel rooms
What we consider basic rooms in America would almost be considered luxuries here. Go Hotels in Manila was clean but lacking and little did I know it would be one of the nicer rooms. Towels are few, shampoo and soap very very small, tv's are very basic, showers and and toilets that flush are not considered to be needed.

Dumb Question
Ruth ordered us pork barbeque. I said what will we get to eat with it. Answer: rice. Duh.

Toilet n shower dilemma .
Restrooms and toilets are not like home. A lot of public toilets you have to pay, toilet paper is extra money. Never did find out how much per wipe.

In Manila they have public urinals that barely shelter the male. I think its classless to see men using them along the strret

Paper towels don't exist either, forget about even trying to find them.

Toilets as well as showers use the pot method. The shower is a tiled or brick stall with a outside type spicket. Under it a large trash can or bucket. To shower you soap up and pour water over you. To flush the toilet you just grab a pot of water and pour it in. Every shower/toilet has the same looking plastic pot to pour the water.

Toilet seats, NOPE! I didn't catch on how to squat over a seatless toilet so didn't even bother trying. If I had to use the toilet held it until I could find one with a seat.

My quest to find a toilet.
We left Dakak rersort about 11, by noon I had to use the toilet. We didn't check in the Dipitan airport yet so couldn't use it. While waiting Ruth took me to the post office to mail some things. The post office was on break, a note saying will return at 1 pm. Ruth said they have a toilet. I went in and immediately left. No toilet seat, hardly any running water in the sink, it looked horrible. Made it back to the airport, checked in and headed for the toilet. No seat and filthy.. Boarded the plane and forgot about using the toilet on the short flight. Landed and headed to the mall. No toilet. Went about a 45 minute drive to a much nicer mall. It was huge, 3 floors. Finally found the restroom. Went in and no toilet seats. Ruth insisted we keep looking, I said I will ignore it till we get to the Cebu airport. Ruth persisted so we tried different restaurants in the mall. No luck, none had toilets. Finally passed by Maxx’s restaurant. In the far back of the restaurant a sign – RESTROOMS. I said lets get a table and order coffee. Told Ruth be right back. I couldn't believe it a clean restroom with a toilet seat. But OH NO, no toilet paper. I just about sh.....shouted. Fortunately a worker walked by and he quickly gave me a roll. What relief. Took my seat and ordered coffee. Sorry sir we are out. Sometimes you just can't win.

No comments: